METHODS OF CARVING: Chip carving, Relief Carving, and Carving in the round (3D carving)
HOW TO TRANSFER A DESIGN ONTO WOOD USING CARBON PAPER:
1. Collect the wood, the design, carbon paper, sellotape and a pencil.
2. Sellotape the carbon paper onto the wood.
3. Sellotape the design over the carbon paper.
4. Trace over the design with a pencil.
5. Make sure all lines have been traced before fully removing the carbon paper and the design.
6. The design should be present.
HOW TO CARVE IN THE ROUND - MARKING OUT AND CARVING.
-> MARKING OUT
1. Draw the elevation(s) and plan(s) of the design onto paper.
2. Transfer the images onto the wood using carbon paper.
1. Cut the rough shape of the design using a coping saw or band saw.
2. Using gouges and shaping tools develop the overall final shape of the piece.
3. On the rough, draw and carve the finer details using chisels and other tools.
4. Sand and finish.
WOODS SUITABLE FOR CARVING:
-> REASONS FOR CHOICE OF WOOD
Cost, Appearance, Durability, Work ability, Finishes well, Renewable, Environmentally friendly.