We've put all the past papers into a single booklet so you can print them out.
Leaving Certificate Physics
Leaving Cert Physics is the most mathematical of the sciences, with many exam questions requiring you to solve a problem using learnt formulas.
It is important that you go over these experiments before the exam as Section A examines you on your knowledge of these practicals.
Physics Course Content
Optics / Waves
- Changes of state
- Energy conversions and mathematical problems.
Electricity and Magnetism:
- Simple Circuits
- Electricity and magnetism
- AC & DC currents
- Cathode rays
- Radioactive decay
- Nuclear fission and fusion
- Nuclear reactors
- A detailed study of sub atomic particles
- A detailed study of electricity and how motors work
100% of your mark goes for a one paper 3 hour exam but you are required to keep a record of your practical work over the two years of the course.
Answer 3 out of 4 questions (40 marks per question) based on experimental procedures and use of results.
- Answer 5 out of 8 questions (56 marks per question)
- Questions are more broad and theory based
Future Careers with Leaving Certificate Physics
Physics is a requirement for entry into a number of third level courses and is useful for careers including finance, statistics, engineering, physics and computer science.
Download the leaving cert Physics Syllabus
Download the leaving cert Physics Chief examiner's report (2013)
Download the leaving cert Physics Guidelines for Teachers
26 Topics for Physics
- Current & Charge
- Electric Circuits
- Electromagnetic Induction
- Experiment Questions
- Force,Mass & Momentum
- Heat & Heat Transfer
- Nuclear Energy
- Potential Difference & Capacitance
- Pressure, Gravity & Moments
- Reflection & Mirrors
- Static Electricity
- The Atom, Nucleus & Radioactivity
- The Electron
- Vectors & Scalars
- Vibrations & Sound
- Waves & Wave Motion
- Work, Energy & Power
26 Past papers for Physics