Leaving Certificate Art

Unlike most other subjects, most of the marks for Leaving Certificate Art have been awarded by the time the June exams come around. Only 37.5% of the final grade is based on a written exam, which is on Art History.

Read more Read less

The Art History course is huge and covers many topics but there is lots of choice on the paper, so hone in on the sections that you enjoy or are good at. The remaining marks are given based on a practical coursework exam in May, which includes life sketching, still life or abstract composition and design or craftwork. 

Art History Course Content

  • Appreciation - Architecture and Renovation
  • Appreciation - Fashion/Clothing & Jewelry Design
  • Appreciation - Film Studies
  • Appreciation - Gallery Visit
  • Appreciation - Graphic Design
  • Appreciation - Product Design
  • Appreciation - Public/Street art
  • Early Christian Ireland - Manuscripts
  • Early Christian Ireland - Metalwork
  • Early Christian Ireland - Stonework
  • Europe - Gothic & Romanesque Architecture
  • Europe - Impressionist
  • Europe - Medieval
  • Europe - Post Impressionism
  • Europe - Renaissance
  • Europe - Romantic Period
  • Europe - Surrealism/Cubism
  • Generic Qs - Categories
  • Generic Qs - Movements
  • Ireland - Georgian Architecture and Arts
  • Ireland - Modern Artists and Designers
  • Ireland - Romantic Period
  • Pre Christian - Bronze Age
  • Pre Christian - Iron Age
  • Pre-Christian - Burial and monastic sites

The Exam

37.5% of the marks are for a written exam on Art History. The remaining 62.5% is awarded for an exam in May based on practical coursework to include life sketching, still life or abstract composition and design or craftwork. 

Future Careers with Leaving Certificate Art

Design, Architecture, Interior Design, Web Design, Animation, Graphic Design, Photography


Download the Leaving Cert Art Syllabus 

Download the Leaving Cert Art Chief Examiner's Report (2013)